What to Wear to a Wedding: Formal vs. Casual and Everything In Between
Have you ever questioned what to wear to a wedding? Most of us are fun and stylish in our everyday life, but the idea of choosing the right ensemble for someone's special day can sometimes seem like a daunting decision. Here are few ideas that may help you put together your wedding wear options, right down to the perfect jewelry to finish your look.
Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall – Wedding Attire for Any Season
Witnessing a lovely couple say "I do" during holiday months is a beautiful sight that warms your heart, but if you live in an area that experiences snowy, frigid winters, your motivation mojo to style a fabulous outfit may sometimes be compromised. Here are a few tips for styling a comfortable, practical look for a winter wedding without sacrificing your fabulous style!
Fall/winter wedding tips…
- A color scheme of deep, dark and/or neutral hues
- Dress in layers so you keep warm in the cold, but can shed a layer when it's time to dance
- Ankle booties, chic knee high boots or high heels – don't be afraid to pair with sheer tights
- Formal wedding? Try a posh cocktail dress or long evening gown
- Casual wedding? Go for a business casual look that you might wear to the office – a pencil skirt and blouse, a pair of wide-leg trousers with a tailored blazer
Spring and summer weddings are a bit easier to dress for. You are free to wear a lightweight, comfortable outfit with fewer articles and accessories. Whether the happy couple is tying the knot on the beach, in a rustic barn, or on a vineyard…spring and summer wedding attire can be effortless and fun to style. Here are a few tips for an easy, breezy spring or summer wedding ensemble…
Spring/summer wedding tips…
- A color scheme of light, colorful or natural hues…try to stay away from white!
- Still a good idea to dress in layers – bring along a pashmina or light wrap in case any indoor venues may have the air conditioning turned up
- Strappy sandals, flirty espadrilles, or high heels
- Formal wedding: Try a classic wrap dress, an elegant jersey knit dress, a chic skirt suit or a little black dress
- Casual wedding: Go for comfort and style with a trendy maxi dress, a classic cotton sundress or a dressy skirt and blouse combo
Now the part that we love the most…Jewelry!
Since most jewelry styles are considerably universal for all seasons, use the color schemes above as a guide to help you decide which of your pieces may be the most appropriate for the season you are dressing for, and which may best complement the color of your outfit.
The traditional bride will likely opt for classic wedding options such as diamonds, pearls or crystal…
For a formal wedding consider…
- Joining her, she's got great style! Go for a classic pearl necklace or diamond station necklace
- Charm your date with lovely drop earrings and a diamond tennis bracelet
- Stand out in a pair of gorgeous chandelier earrings and a stunning gemstone bangle
- Stay classy & fabulous in a gold chain necklace paired with a dazzling gemstone cocktail ring
For a casual wedding consider…
- Donning your diamond studs or pearl studs or always fashionable hoops
- Pair your earrings with a modest yet stylish initial or monogram necklace
- Opt for a classy and fabulous sterling silver or gold pendant necklace – always appropriate
- Have fun with a flashy and fun fashion ring
- In the summertime, stand out with a colorful torsade necklace or a pop of turquoise or coral if your event is by the sea
When it comes to jewelry, it's hard to go wrong… especially when you shop the fabulously affordable selection from Ross-Simons.
Styling your own hair? If you have long hair, let it flow in bouncy curls from your hot rollers or curling iron. Or, go sleek with silky straight hair from your flat iron. If you have short hair, wear it as you normally would – natural, curly or straight and have fun with a chic headband or bedazzled clip.
Applying your own makeup? For a formal wedding, your makeup can be a bit more dramatic than your everyday make up, but does not have to be! If you'd like to go bold, try adding false lashes, a smokey eye, or a trendy dark matte or classic red lip. Casual wedding makeup can be more natural, and reflect your daily routine. Natural and complementary colors that go perfectly with your complexion, a little bronzer to give you a natural glow, and a sweet pink or nude lip is always appropriate.
No matter what the season, setting or venue – a wedding is a special celebration with friends and family. Your fantastic outfit is an added bonus. Whatever you choose, you should feel comfortable and confident – and ready to have a great time making memories and celebrating the new bride and groom… in style!