Our Guide to Bolo Jewelry
Sleek and modern, the bolo style has quickly become a popular choice in jewelry. The bolo is an adjustable sliding mechanism that allows the wearer to easily customize the wear and fit. Bolo bracelets comfortably fit most wrists. The adjustable closure ensures your bracelet fits perfectly on the wrist and remains secured until you’re ready to take it off. Ultimately versatile from fit to style, a diamond bolos can be worn alone for a delicate look, or a few gemstone bolos or bold gold bolos can be stacked to create a statement.
Origins of the bolo
The contemporary bolo jewelry style is said to be inspired by the once popular “bolo tie” in 1940s western fashion. As a clever way to prevent a cowboy hat from flying away while riding a horse, the wearer simply tightened the neck strap of their hat using the bolo slider to keep it secure in the wind. A line of ties using a similar sliding mechanism soon followed. The bolo tie was typically a thin cord looped and secured using this bolo clasp in the center. We can still find bolo ties in modern-day fashion for both men and women. Eventually, this style was adapted by jewelers worldwide due to its versatility and universal fit, and today can be found in both necklaces and bracelets.
How does it work?
The bolo bracelet includes a slider bead through which two ends of jewelry chain are slid through, finished off at the ends with a bead or ball to prevent the jewelry from sliding loose. Follow these easy instructions to adjust your bolo bracelet and achieve carefree wear:
- Extend the slider bead fully.
- Slide the bracelet onto your wrist.
- Hold the bracelet steady with one finger.
- Pull the slider bead back towards your wrist to the desired fit.
How we’re styling our bolo bracelets
The more, the merrier! We love using bolo bracelets to create a layered, statement look.
- Start simple. Beginning with a simple base will make it easy to start stacking. Choose a sterling silver or gold bolo to set the tone for your look.
- Add some sparkle. Add some classic sparkle with a diamond bolo, or layer on some color with gemstones. If you’re going for a truly glam look, add both!
- Make it personal. For a truly unique look, finish off your stack with a personalized bolo with custom engraving. Adding a special date, initial or monogram to your new look truly makes it all your own.
- Let us do it for you. Love the idea of creating a statement bracelet stack but still not sure where to start? Let us do the work for you with our pre-styled bolo bracelets sets.